Monday, July 30, 2012

Half way through Cycle 3 (Unposted til 7/30/12)


I am now at the end of Week 1 of Cycle 3.  Chemo-therapy has become a new normal.  I am feeling quite well.  I have stopped breaking any new bones, probably 5-6 weeks ago.  Since bones take 6-8 weeks to heal, I feel as if most of the bones are healed.  It is now much easier to turn over in bed, and for short trips around the house, no canes are necessary.  Of course, that means the canes get lost all too often, but the increased mobility is worth it.

At the start of each cycle, they draw several vials of blood to do an extensive series of blood tests.  The main blood marker they are using to gauge progress is one they call Free Lambda, Serum.  It started out at the start of Cycle 1 at 1329.3.  The normal range is 5.7 – 26.3.  The doctors were quite pleased when the value at the start of Cycle 2 was 317.6, or 24% of the original reading.  Now the value at the start of Cycle 3 is 54.1, which is a further reduction of 17% of the prior value.  The value of 317.6 merited a special call from the doctor.  The 54.1 has not generated any phone call, but it still looks pretty good to me.

There are pretty good antidotes to the primary side effects of the chemo-therapy.  It seems like I take a zillion pills every day.  One of them is to offset nausea, which does a pretty good job.  Another, which I need to take 3 times per day, is to prevent shingles, which I understand one certainly wants to avoid.  I am now taking the steroid both the day I get the Velcade and the day after, and I take a little round pill to fight insomnia.  The Revlimid is supposed to make you tired, so I take that at night, to enhance sleeping as well.  The net is that most of the nasty side effects are counter-acted.

There are a few side effects that survive, but they are not too bad.  Something is awry with my eyes.  During the day they feel dry and at night they generate all sorts of sleepers.  My ankles are slightly swollen, but not badly so.  If I have as much food as I normally did before this, I suddenly become over-stuffed.  That happened last Friday at the pre-wedding dinner out in Greenfield.  I thought since I was at the end of a week with no chemo that I could eat a normal amount.  Not so!  Suddenly I became unable to eat another bite, and I broke out in a sweat.  Then for the rest of the night, I was uncomfortably full and burping.  Today (Sunday at the lake) we had a breakfast of waffles with chocolate bits, which is highly tempting.  I succumbed to temptation, and the same thing happened.  I completely skipped lunch, yet I am still full.  So it goes, which is motivation to control the intake.

I am trying to get an appointment to see a back surgeon, to see if they can straighten out my back.  Even though the bones are mostly healed in the back, it does not mean I can straighten up, as the bones did not crack in uniform ways.  They may be able to add cement of super-glue to even out the vertebrae, thus straightening the backbone.  But I need to do that before the next course of treatment, as the next course of treatment will leave me without any immune system.  But of course, the next available appointment is the end of August, so special favors from my original back doctor are being called in, but there are no definite appointments yet.  Meanwhile the hated back brace and the canes continue to be the norm, which is a pain.
So things are going quite well, in spite of the raft of complaints above.  Considering this is a potentially fatal disease, the course of treatment is going quite well.  I am disturbed reading the literature how many people end up having Multiple Myeloma recur after their stem cell transplant in a more virulent form, but the focus for now is getting through the stem cell transplant.  For that things are going well.  So ignore the complaints above and take away the message that my treatments are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment