Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blood Counts


As anticipated, the Melphalan has had a dramatic effect upon my blood counts.  Here is the graph of my White Blood Count since I came in on 10/26:


The horizontal lines are the min + max of the normal range.  The Melphalan was administered on 10/27 + 10/28.  Who knows why the count spiked up on the 29th?  It appears that there is significant measurement variation in the blood samples they test.  Recent information: the nurse who just looked at the graph said I got a steroid along with the Melphalan, and that can cause the white blood count to spike.  At any rate, the trend since that time is clear.  And it is also clear why I need to steer clear of infection.

 The platelets are also showing the same trend.  I got the normal range from Lab Tests Online, so I am assuming the units are the same, but I am not sure.  At any rate here is the picture:

They are currently giving me a Lovanox shot every day to prevent blood clots (platelets are what enable your blood to clot).  They will cease those shots when the platelet count gets below 50.

My Red Blood Counts have been below the normal range all along.  Who knows why?  They are trending down, but at a much slower rate.  That’s because red blood cells live for 90 days, so you have a 90 day inventory at any time.  Losing the addition of new red blood cells for 7 days has just a slight impact on that 90-day supply.


There it is.  More than you ever wanted to know about someone’s blood counts.  They are important to me, as only when the counts rise back to the normal levels will I be allowed out of my prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment